Wednesday 14 March 2018

Junk journal

I've discovered the concept of junk journalling.  In its purest form, it involves using only junk (leftovers, scraps, found objects etc) to create the book and all its contents, but everyone as their own version of what it means to them.  So I joined a group on Facebook, had a look on Youtube and Pinterest, and decided that it was something I wanted to try.

My version is going to be a cross between art journalling, scrapbooking and junk journalling and I'm going to use it to experiment as well as to record events and reactions and store ephemera.

So, I bought a lovely A5 journal blank (from Pink Pig) with really thick, quality art paper inside, and here is my introductory page ...


I found some chipboard letters I forgot I had, plus a frame and a cameo from my stash, glued them down and then covered it all with gesso.  Then I mixed a purple colour (I didn't have a suitable one ready made) from pink and dark blue and used it to paint the whole thing.  I dry brushed with three different shades (pale pink, black and silver) and then added stencilling and stamping in pink (the same one I used to mix the purple), black and silver.  I also used "glue and seal" to attach two small fragments from an old dictionary (bought from a charity shop ages ago to use in my crafting and then forgotten about until now), choosing the sections that defined "junk" and "journal".  

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process and am looking forward to getting sticky and paint-covered when I produce future pages.  This is definitely a craft form that I want to explore further.

No comments:

Post a Comment